Beauty Declutter: Things I want to Use Up in 2016

Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Hello Internet,

Today's post is covering the highly ambitious products I want to finish in 2016. I am tired of having such a large collection of everything. I'm tired of worrying about when something is going to expire. I'm tired of looking at a cluttered mess of both things I love and things I'm guilty about not loving more. I'm tired of having so much furniture dedicated to storing my stockpile of beauty crap!

I knew one of my biggest challenges to being a minimalist was going to be when it came to makeup and skincare as both are passions and hobbies of mine, and why I originally started blogging back in highschool.

My ultimate goal for myself is to have all my makeup in ONE cute little(ish) makeup bag. I envision myself one day waking up, playing with my puppy (it's on my to do list for this year, to get a puppy), and putting on my face while sitting on my bed with a small makeup bag. And for it to only take 10 minutes tops.
Currently I have a desk, a drawer unit, and a box in the closet full of makeup. This is after finally throwing away the blue eyeshadows that didn't really go with my everyday look and giving some makeup away to my mom. Also, this does not include the cabinet under the bathroom sink that houses my skincare, hair care and body care items, nor does it include the giant tray of perfumes on top of my vanity. Lord help me.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil." - It is going to take divine intervention for me to get through this list of things I want to finish up.

So on to the fun part! What did I choose for my mission?
I selected the products below based on age, texture, how much I had of them, and how much I like them.
Age - I chose the older items in my collection so I can try to use them before they go bad.
Texture - I chose a lot of cream products as they tend to dry out and expire faster than powder ones.
How many of them I had - Products I had several of, in particular, eyeliners, cream eyeshadows, foundations/BB creams, and lip products.
How much I like them - Things I felt meh about, I wanted to get them out of my collection so I wouldn't have to look at them anymore.

"Why not just get rid of these things?," one might ask. Well, here is my ideology on the whole concept. I don't like wasting. That goes for food, money, anything. But also, I really don't have anything that I truly detest. I believe you can make anything work, honestly. So I will do just that.

Here are the 60 items that I've selected for my mission. Some will take a miracle, others I actually could probably get through pretty quickly as they are already nearing their end. To be cheeky with myself, I also included 10 BONUS items, should I get through the 60. Say a prayer for me tonight before you go to bed.

1. MAC Lipglass "Rich and Ripe"
2. MAC Lipglass "Underage"
3. Tarte Lipgloss "Viv"
4. Tarte Lipgloss "Ro"
5. Urban Decay Lip Junkie "Naked"
6. Annabelle Le Gloss Stick #703
7. Annabelle Le Gloss Stick #707
8. Ulta Lipliner "Flesh"
9. ELF Matte Lip Color "Natural"
10. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain "Honey"
11. Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick "Pink Please"
12. Rimmel Lipstick "Airy Fairy"
13. MAC Lipstick "Viva Glam Gaga"
14. MAC Lipstick "Speak Louder"
15. Revlon Colorburst Lipstick "Soft Nude"
16. Noyah Lipstick "Deeply in Mauve"
17. ELF Bronzer "Warm"
18. MAC Sculpt and Shape Powder "Lightsweep/Shadester"
19. Smashbox Cream Cheek Trio
20. Tarte Cheek Stain "Flush"
21. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Brightener
22. Cover Girl Trublend Concealer Stick
23. MAC Studio Finish Concealer
24. L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base
25. Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation
26. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup
27. Makeup Forever Mat Velvet +
28. Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation
29. Pure Beauty Soothing BB Cream
30. Garnier BB Cream
31. Pure Beauty Jasmine Water BB Cream
32. Too Faced BB Cream
33. Juice Beauty BB Cream
34. Smashbox Camera Ready CC Cream
35. Essence All About Matte Powder
36. Be A Bombshell Smooth Criminal Powder
37. Wet and Wild Coverall Pressed Powder
38. ELF Eyebrow Kit
39. Essence Brow Gel
40. MAC Eyeshadow "Naked Lunch"
41. Maybelline 8 mini pan "Sunbaked Neutrals"
42. 15 Single Eyeshadows
43. Sephora Jumbo Waterproof Pencil "Taupe"
44. Chella Highlighter Pencil "Ivory Lace"
45. Jordana Shadow Pencil "Continuous Almond"
46. Pixi Shadow Pencil "Shell Sheen"
47. Sephora Jumbo Waterproof Pencil "Purple"
48. Bare Minerals Prime Time Eyeshadow Primer
49. NYX Eyeliner "White"
50. Bonne Belle Eyeliner "Raisin"
51. Anabelle Smudgeliner "Oh My Goth"
52. Gino McCray Eyeliner "White"
53. Bonne Belle Eyeliner "Hot Cocoa"
54. Rimmel Kohl Eyeliner "Nude"
55. Cosmagic Eyeliner "Black"
56. MAC Paint Pot "Blackground"
57. Maybelline Color Tattoo - Unknown Purple
58. Maybelline Color Tattoo "Precious Pearl"
59. Maybelline Color Tattoo "Tough as Taupe"
60. Revlon Lip Butter "Strawberry Shortcake"

BONUS ITEMS (I was apparently quite cocky when I made this list)

1. Lip Ice Sheer Color Balm
2. KA Magic Color Balm
3. Wet and Wild Coverall Cover Stick
4. Benefit Watt's Up Highlighter
5. Maybelline Eye Studio Cream Liner "Black"
6. Revlon Lip Gloss "Lilac Pastelle"
7. Nars Lipstick "Dolce Vita"
8. Revlon Lipstick "Pink Giggles"
9. Tarte Lipgloss "Spence"
10. Tarte Lipgloss "Finn"


I picked out 5 lip glosses, 11 lipsticks, 1 lipliner, 1 bronzer, 3 blushes, 1 highlighter, 3 concealers, 1 primer, 4 foundations, 6 BB creams, 3 powders, 2 brows, 16 single eyeshadows, 1 eyeshadow palette, 5 eyeshadow crayons, 1 eye primer, 7 eyeliner pencils, and 4 shadow pots. Now, some of these are almost finished, some are sample sized, some are pretty much unused.

What will be the easiest?
I think I can get through my foundations and BB creams quite easily because they are pretty much all at the tail end. I go through powders like candy too so I don't think that will be a challenge.

What will be the hardest?
The cream shadows and paint pots will probably be the biggest challenge for me and I doubt I will get through 4, but maybe I can start slapping the black on my cheeks as war paint.
I also don't wear pencil eyeliners very often anymore as well but I have so many I'm going to make it a point to wear them.

Why so many lip products?
I have so many! I hardly wear lip glosses so I am going to wear them this year and not buy any more. I got all of the little Tarte ones from a holiday set last year and I don't think they will be that hard since they are so small. I also picked colors that were neutral or sheer.

Going a whole year without buying new makeup? How??
As mentioned in my previous post, I did a no buy in 2015 (except for mascara) and was very successful. I found myself no longer craving new products or trying to justify making any new purchases. Yes, I went on Sephora's website and did some online window shopping, and especially during the holidays all the new makeup and kits were all so beautiful. But not beautiful enough for me to make a place for them in my life and backtrack on my progress.

I have this list written down in my Moleskine planner and will be ticking them off as I go along. I plan to update quarterly on my progress with before and after photos. I have also creating a new page that can be accessed at the top of my blog's main page with a running tally of what all I've finished.

If you're wanting to downsize or declutter, do it now! Put an end to mindless spending and love the things you have or get rid of them. Be happy!

- Jenny


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Contact Form

Subscribe