Minimalist Living Part 2 - Inventory: Hair

Saturday, May 23, 2015

To get perspective on what you need and areas you can minimize, it's helpful to know your inventory. This can be daunting if you have a lot of something (clothes...I can't even). So I find it helpful to start inventory on small collections and build my way up.

Today's inventory check is on hair products and tools. Very mundane...but as I am a hoarder of beauty products, this is an area that I am in excess. Which is odd since I hardly ever use any hair products. I wash and condition, and that's about it. Occasionally when I don't even wash and condition, I'll use dry shampoo. But that's as far as it goes. I don't even brush my hair. So why do I have so much other stuff? Because I like to buy things.

As of May 25, 2015 this is what I own:

1 Dry Shampoo
4 Hairsprays (albeit minis from beauty subscription boxes, none of which I am currently subscribed to)
1 Heat protectant
2 Volume boosters
4 Texturizers (salt sprays, etc)
3 Shine boosters
1 Detangler
1 Shampoo
3 Conditioners
2 Deep conditioners
4 Treatments (ie products that don't fit in the above categories)
3 Brushes/combs
1 Blowdryer
2 Flat irons (1 is for travel)
1 Curling iron

Bringing my total to 26 hair products and 7 hair tools.

Now, my general philosophy with minimizing my possessions is to use up (not get rid of) my products and to not replenish until I've whittled down to no more than 2 items of any particular product. With that said, although I hardly ever use the hair styling tools I have, I also don't want to get rid of them at this time should there be a need for it in the near future. This is something I intend to evaluate in 6 months to decide if they are worth holding on to.

Looking at the hair products that I have, and realizing how low maintenance I am with my styling routine, I do not need: hairspray, volume boosters, texturizers, detanglers, or special treatments. I admit I don't use shine boosting products often, but I probably should, so those are things I would ideally have in my collection.

I also use the blowdryer, but not on my hair haha. It comes in handy for other things.

So, after identifying my daily routine and what I really use, I've determined what my ideal hair collection would look like:

1 Dry Shampoo
1 Shampoo
1 Conditioner
1 Deep conditioner

but, as a true hoarder who can't completely give up everything for fear she will need it one day, I would also keep the following:

1 Shine booster
1 Hairspray
1 Heat protectant
1 Comb
1 Blowdryer
1 Flat iron (am still skeptical since I don't think I'll ever use it)

bringing my ideal hair collection to 7 products and 3 styling tools.

Theoretically, I can get rid of everything else. But as I'd rather use something than waste it, I will attempt to go through as much as I can until I reach my desired size. Now with all this talk, let's see if I can walk the walk :)




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Contact Form

Subscribe